Re: XML DocBook patch

Damon Chaplin <damon ximian com> writes:

> On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 14:51, Owen Taylor wrote:
>

> > I think maintaining straight HTML ouput is important for things like having the
> > docs on a web page.
> >
> > And I don't think we can really just install the raw XML docbook and have the
> > conversion done on the fly ... if we did that, we'd have no way of resolving
> > references like #gint, since we wouldn't know what document they point into.
>
> Since Gnome apps just install XML now, I'd have thought that was the
> main goal for devel docs as well. Either through XML link hackery or
> XSLT hackery.

I doubt that a significant fraction of the people developing
with GTK+ are using GNOME-2.0 yet; I wouldn't be suprised if
a majority aren't using GNOME at all.

> Of course, being able to produce nice HTML tarballs is also necessary
> for GTK+ (for Win32 etc.), and handy for Gnome docs.
>
> Damon
>
> (I did have a quick look at this, but didn't really figure out the
> overall picture of how yelp displays docs, how it uses stylesheets etc.)

I think effectively runs xsltproc to apply the XSL docbook stylesheets,
so it's not very diferent in detail from generating static HTML.

Regards,
                                        Owen