Re: New setup procedure/docs

Damon Chaplin <damon ximian com> writes:

> I just committed my stuff to make it easier to setup apps/libs
> to use gtk-doc, and updated the README and doc/setting-up.txt.
> Oh, and I removed quite a bit of out-of-date stuff.
>
> Hopefully I haven't messed it up as per usual.
>

> I copied the configure.in/Makefile.am stuff from GTK+ and put
> it in the examples directory. I had to change a few bits in the
> Makefile.am:
>
>  1) Since MODULE-overrides.txt isn't always used in a module,
>     I turned it into an optional variable, i.e.
>
>      # If you need to override some of the declarations, place them in this file
>      # and uncomment this line.
>      #DOC_OVERRIDES = $(DOC_MODULE)-overrides.txt
>
>     Then I used $(DOC_OVERRIDES) in the generic code. Otherwise make
>     complained about not being able to find it for tmpl-build.stamp.

Should be fine. I can't remember why I didn't do this for
$(DOC_MODULE).types as well...

>  2) In the sgml-build.stamp: rule I changed $(srcdir)/tmpl/*.sgml
>     to $(wildcard (srcdir)/tmpl/*.sgml). Otherwise the first time you
>     run make it complains about not being able to find $(srcdir)/tmpl/*.sgml
>     (if there are no matching files make stupidly returns the expression)
>     I hope the wildcard function is portable.

It's not. But we can probably either:

 - Only ENABLE_GTK_DOC if we have GNU make

 - Add a conditional the dependency so that we use $(wildcard ...) if
   we have GNU make, since the problem only occurs for people
   setting up a module for the first time, and they are likely to
   have GNU make.

Regards,
                                        Owen