srcdir != builddir problems?

I've had reports of problems building docs with gtk-doc when
srcdir != builddir, since gtk-doc uses hard-coded filenames
for the MODULE.types file (and maybe others).

Anyone know if this is really a problem and if so what the
best solution is? (I'm not too good with build stuff.)

One suggestion was to have a  '--with-types-file=yadda' option.
Would that be enough? Are there any other files which may cause
problems?

(Do the GTK+ docs build OK with builddir != srcdir?)

Damon