Re: Problem with 'make html' (fwd)

Lee Mallabone wrote:

> Not sure if this got through the first time... Sorry if it did.

I didn't get it.

> I finally got around to starting writing some reference doc material, but
> when I came to try and turn the sgml into html, I get spewings, (shown
> below).
>
> I know the basic sgml processor is working okay, as sgml2ps and sgml2html
> all work fine on my own (non-gtk) docs...
>
> Hope someone can help...
>
> -(~/gtk-reference-1.1.0/gtk)> make html
> if ! test -d html ; then mkdir html ; fi
> cd html && gtkdoc-mkhtml gtk ../gtk-docs.sgml
> jade:../gtk-docs.sgml:1:59:W: cannot generate system identifier for public
> text "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN"

Your SGML catalog file isn't set up properly.
You need to add the DocBook stuff to it, so jade can look up
"-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN" and turn it into a filename.

Do you know where your catalog file is?
(On Debian 2 its in /etc/sgml.catalog. I think /usr/lib/sgml is another
place to look.)

The DocBook and Jade packages includes catalog entries which
you need to add to this. (For Jade its in the /dsssl directory).
You may need to update the filenames so they point to the right place.

You may also need some standard ISO entities.

I could put a tarball of everything needed (a catalog file, the DocBook and
Jade declarations and standard ISO entities) on the RDP site, if that
would be useful.

> ... followed by a ton of the LINK undefined lines... and a *load* more
> errors, but in case the problem is obvious to the sgml "gurus" I won't
> list them, unless asked...

The 'reference to non-existent entity' errors can usually be ignored.
They occur because we include links to external documents (i.e. the GLib
docs.) The useful errors are normally output before these.

Damon