Re: Documentation layout suggestion

John R Sheets <dusk@ravendusk.org> writes:

> Damon Chaplin wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way to add links to gnome widgets in the sgml? I'm guessing
> > > not, seeing as the gnome docs URL(s) could change... Might be nice though to
> > > have links to GnomeMessageBox in the "See also" section of GtkDialog, for
> > > example.
> >
> > The script which fixes up cross-references doesn't support this at present,
> > though I think we'll change that eventually.
> >
> > We need to think a bit about the installation of docs. People are starting to
> > use gtk-doc for a number of modules, so we need to sort out where things get
> > installed etc.
>
> Would it be possible sometime in the future to combine the GTK+
> and GNOME docs into a single module?  Wouldn't that make it
> easier to use cross-referencing between the two API's?  Also, it
> would make it easier to install everything in one fell swoop.
> And finally, it seems like having everything together would
> increase the profile of the documentation efforts for both GTK+
> and GNOME.  One-stop shop, so to speak.

Single module? Not as I typically understand "module".

It would be possible to build all the docs on a single
machine with a single htmldir. That would get the
cross references from GNOME to GTK+ right.

But I don't think putting in references the other way is even a good
idea. GNOME should be able to change without having to modify
references in the docs of the underlying layers.

Regards,
                                        Owen