Re: GdkScreen size-changed and gdk_monitor_get_workarea problem

Dear Bastien,

thanks for the reply. I will attach a sample next time.

My App runs with the X11 backend.

I was able to resolve the issue yesterday, and found that it was not directly a Problem of GTK+.

The problem is, that the window manager computes the workarea asynchronosly, presumably its handled in a g_add_idle callback. When I tried to use get_geometry instead of get_workarea I was always getting the correct values, but I specifically needed the workarea so that was not helping.

My solution was then to register a filter function with gdk_window_add_filter which listens for _NET_WORKAREA property changes and then queue a g_add_idle callback which handles the change.

I tested the behavior with mutter and metacity and both had the same problem.

I am not sure if this is by design, or a bug. However, I would like to suggest that we add a small note to the documentation of the monitor-changed signal and the size-change signal, stating that
values reported by gdk_monitor_get_workarea might arrive delayed.
Alternatively, fixing mutter and metacity would be my preferred solution but would probably be more work and I have not the necessary knowledge about mutter code to fix this myself.

Best Regards
Sebastian