Re: GnomeDesktopThumbnail API replacement

On Mon, 2018-01-22 at 12:46 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On 22 January 2018 at 09:28, Philip Withnall <philip tecnocode co uk>
wrote:
On Wed, 2018-01-17 at 18:15 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Wed, 2018-01-17 at 13:15 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Hey,

I wanted to start a discussion about replacing
GnomeDesktopThumbnail
with an API that would live in the GLib/GTK+ stack.

<snip>

From the GLib side of things, my thoughts are that this shouldn’t
live
in GLib, since it deals with pixbufs. As long as it integrates with
GIO’s thumbnail attribute support, GLib will be happy.

We could add a GThumbnail interface, like we did for GIcon,
GThemeIcon, and friends.

We could return a GIcon/GdkPixbuf. But that doesn't stop it from having
to live in a layer above GIO, where GdkPixbuf is available to the
implementation.

I guess I'll have to dive in and check out the Windows and macOS
thumbnailing APIs.