Re: gtk 3 stuck menu bug on Mac

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 6:45 AM Christian Schoenebeck <schoenebeck linuxsampler org> wrote:
On Freitag, 17. November 2017 00:51:25 CET Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> What I found out so far is that whenever this problem occurs, both of the
> following two checks in function gtk_menu_motion_notify() (gtkmenu.c) return
> false and the function is thus aborted at this point:
>
>       menu_item = gtk_get_event_widget ((GdkEvent*) event);
>       if (!GTK_IS_MENU_ITEM (menu_item) ||
>           !GTK_IS_MENU (parent))
>           return false;

Looking further at this issue, the problem is probably not a timing issue like
I first considered in my previous email. Fact is that the wrong widget under
the mouse pointer is resolved forever whenever this issue starts to occur:

At this code location above, the gtk_menu_motion_notify() function expects
menu_item to be a "GtkMenuItem" gobject class, however when this issue occurs,
menu_item is pointing at its parent "GtkMenu" gobject instead.

I would understand if this misbehavior just happens immediately after a new
menu pops up. But whenever this stuck menu issue occurs, I can continue to
move the mouse pointer over all the visible menu items for hours and the
resolved toplevel widget under the mouse pointer (resolved by the Quartz
implementation) is always the GtkMenu widget instead of the respective
GtkMenuItem widget.

Since this issue only seems to happen on Mac, and since it worked flawlessly on
Mac before, and since I see the Quartz implementation hasn't really changed
(significantly) in the last couple years, was there some kind of important
change in gtk 3 that still would need to be applied to the Quartz driver?

No-one's really maintaining the Quartz backend at the moment, so if you felt like investigating this it would be really appreciated. You could try a 'git bisect' to see what change in GTK3 might have caused the regression and that would probably make it easy to see what would need to be changed in the Quartz backend.

Regards,
Philip C