Re: First deprecate APIs and then remove them in the next major version

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 04:55:41PM +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
The API that gets removed in GTK+ 3.9x is deprecated in GTK+ 3.22 beforehand.

No, that's not true.

A recent example:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=2d5c82b4ecbe6ff534a1b9476080e409742daa39
"gtk: Remove GtkClipboard"

The clipboard is now implemented in GDK. GtkClipboard is not deprecated
in GTK+ 3.22, and the new API is not available in GDK 3.22.

I think Benjamin has done a great work with the new implementation. Just
a little problem: it's what I call a "direct API break", applications or
higher-level libraries will need to be ported from GTK+ 3.92 to 3.94
with a big API delta, so it will result in one huge commit/branch
untestable until all the code is ported [1]. It's of course much worse
if porting directly from 3.22 to 4.0.

[1] What I would recommend is to copy custom widgets/containers (if they
are self-contained) out-of-tree, and port them individually, with a
small GUI test program for each, so that they can be tested outside the
whole application.

--
Sébastien