Re: [RFC] Renaming the GtkSourceView namespace from GtkSource to Gsv

On 10/20/2016 08:05 AM, Georges Basile Stavracas Neto wrote:
My personal opinion is that it's a good move, even though it'll create
some pain. Since the API itself won't change behavior-wise, adapting the
code to the new change will be simple enough (a Search and Replace
throughout the codebase will be enough, I think).

A script will be provided for C code, based on:
https://github.com/swilmet/gnome-c-utils

(to keep a good indentation/alignment of the code, assuming the code
aligns function parameters on the opening parenthesis).

For other languages, a sed s/GtkSource/Gsv/ should be enough.

In Vala it's different because Vala has changed GtkSource.[...] to
Gtk.Source[...]. So for example in Vala, GtkSourceView becomes
Gtk.SourceView. And if there is "using Gtk;" at the top of a file, then
what needs to be searched/replaced is "Source", which can result to more
false positives.

Anyway, an intermediary release/tarball will be provided, with the only
change being the namespace change (and maybe also removing the
deprecated API). Still using GTK+ 3. So that app developers can adapt
their code to the new Gsv namespace, and be able to compile/test the
code before porting to GTK+ 4 and GtkSourceView 4.