Re: GTK+, WM, desktops and CSD

Hi;

On 5 March 2015 at 18:29, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan gmail com> wrote:
Emmanuele,

Let's face it, I doubt GTK+ will ever dominate the world, so the "it's
not consistent because we're not using a single toolkit" is not going
to be solved overnight. And frankly, as much as I like GTK+, I do not
wish other toolkits to go away either, so we shall have to deal with
heterogeneous toolkits for any foreseeable future.

That's not what I was saying. I'm saying that precisely because we
don't have an homogeneous environment you cannot use the "it's
inconsistent" argument.

It will always be inconsistent, for one reason or for another.

As I wrote, the final word would remain the to apps, just like now,
all I'm proposing is to replace the decision made by GTK to use CSD
based on a compositor with a hint from the DE instead, nothing more.

You've conveniently ignored all the issues I've raised, so I'll just
reiterate them, in the hope you have an answer instead of general
handwaving:

 • How does that hint get specified? Is it an X11 property on the root window?
 • How does it get monitored? What happens if the user changes the
setting at run time? Do we get a client message?
 • How are applications supposed to react when that setting is found,
or when it changes? Do they ship with two different UIs, one for CSD
and one for SSD?
 • What happens if the application does not have two UIs? Is the
setting ignored, and the application stays with client-side
decorations even if the window manager does not support the Motif WM
hints?

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--