Re: Undeprecate GtkAlignment ?

Hi;

On 4 June 2015 at 12:42, Niels Nesse <nnesse sonic net> wrote:

Deprecated classes, properties, signals, and functions in GTK+ do not
go away until the major version of GTK+ is bumped. At that point, you
can keep targeting the previous major version of GTK or port to the
new major version, alongside with every other API changes we made in
between. It's important to note that we're not planning a major
version bump any time soon.

I wasn't confused about the deprecation model. My question was more
about what the consequence of the eventual removal might be. How would
an application go about getting the same effect at GtkAlignment without
using it directly? Again assuming values for scale and alignment that
are fractional.

The proper way would be to use their own custom widget for that.

If the licensing terms allow it, you could even copy-paste
GtkAlignment in your project.

Alternatively, you bundle your own version of GTK+ and never update
it; or you never update to GTK+ 4.0 until you decide to redesign your
UI.

As I said, I personally think that using fractional alignments is
wrong and just a way to get around the fact that using pixel-precise
positioning is not something GTK recommends. When we implemented the
alignment properties for GtkWidget before releasing 3.0 we looked at
what people were using in open source projects, and we found that the
vast majority were using 0, 0.5, and 1.0 as alignment values — and the
few people that required different alignments were better served by
padding, margin, and spacing dependent on font size, not on fractions
of the parent widget's size.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--