Re: a new combo box

Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
So let me ask a very basic question here, since I feel it's at the heart of
the dumb internet argument we're having.

What is this design trying to solve? What problems with the old ComboBox are
we trying to fix? What use cases is it designed for?

I've added some additional material to the design page [1] today. I
hope that it answers some of your questions.

My issue, really, is that I haven't really been keeping up with GTK+
development and new widgets over the course of time. I hack on some personal
apps in my spare time.

If we add GtkCombo as a separate question, I have one simple question: when
should I use GtkCombo and when should I use GtkComboBox?

That's a good question. One thing I've been thinking about is linking
to (or referencing) widgets from the design patterns in the HIG. That
would help to communicate what's recommended. It would also help to
communicate the differences between the widgets. For example, the page
on lists refers to list boxes and tree views (not by name, currently),
and gives advice on when to use one rather than the other.

Allan

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/DropDowns