Re: RFC: GtkPreview library

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
After talking to Owen today, I'm wondering if it makes sense to consider GtkPreview a portable widget. These platforms tend to already have their own document preview systems, and I'm not sure it makes sense to port all our apps (evince preview system, LibreOffice preview system) to use our own system instead of simply using the native preview widget.

Its a fine point. But consider the perspective of a GTK developer who comes across GtkPreview and wants to write a cross-platform application using it. Embedding non-GTK widgets/views/thingdings inside GTK is still a bit of black art ... An almost identical argument can be made for the file browser and yet ...

Would it make sense instead to provide GtkPreviewer on all platforms, but implement it in terms of each platform's native previewer? That's what app developers would end up doing anyway if we considered it non-portable.
--
Philip