Custom TextBuffer

I want to use a TextView to display information as marked-up text.
This information is generated on the fly and would span millions of
lines that the user can page through. It seems like the idea would
just be to subclass GtkTextBuffer to provide my own methods for "get
text in a particular range", but I can't find any information about
how. I tried providing my own get_text and get_slice methods but
they're never called. I'm using Python btw.

--
Sent from my Game Boy.