Re: hint for vertical writing mode to input method

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 3:30 AM, Makoto Kato <m_kato ga2 so-net ne jp> wrote:
Hi, GTK team.

Mozilla is implementing vertical-writing spec [*1] to Gecko rendering
engine.  But GTK has no API to add hint of vertical writing mode to
input method.

Other OS already has the following method / attribute for this case.

OSX / Cocoa
drawsVerticallyForCharacterAtIndex method
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/NSTextInputClient_Protocol/index.html#//apple_ref/occ/intfm/NSTextInputClient/drawsVerticallyForCharacterAtIndex:

Windows / TSF
TSATTRID_Text_VerticalWriting attirubte
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms629018%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Do you have a plan to add an attribute or API of vertical writing hint
to GTK?   If nothing, could you add this to any property such as adding
GTK_INPUT_HINT_VERTICAL_WRITING to GtkInputHints?

There's no 'plan' for this. Adding such a hint to the enum would be
pretty easy, of course. Note that these hints are currently not used
for anything in practice. No application (that I know of) sets them,
and no input method (that I know of) looks at them. How would your new
vertical writing hint be set or used ?