Re: gtk_widget_set_double_buffered() is deprecated, so what can replace it?

I fetched quickplot from svn to try to test your issues with cairo. I ran apt-get build-dep quickplot, then tried to build.

win.c:43:29: fatal error: imgGrabCursor.xpm: No such file or directory
 #include "imgGrabCursor.xpm"
                             ^
compilation terminated.

I don't know the nature of your issues with Cairo but I have some significant experience drawing waveforms with both in-memory code (using pixel-level macros) and using Cairo, and have not found Cairo to be slow if you're using a sensible algorithm to draw the waveform.