Re: Memory tracking in GJS

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Andy Wingo <wingo pobox com> wrote:
Ideally GLib could define an interface void g_register_allocation (size_t bytes, char *for_whom);

What about GLib libraries which wrap non-GLib libraries that do the heavy lifting?  For example, the gjs wrappers for cairo.

I think we're still going to need a multi-pronged approach, with an explicit dispose API, running large allocations through an API like the one you proposed, as well as kernel level support for hints about a good time to GC (and how much time to spend doing so).