static compliation glib/gio with gnutls

After statically linking my program (which is using the GTlsConnection being implemented in glib-networking) I always get the "TLS support is not availiable" from glib/gio/gdummytlsbackend.c as soon as I try to create the GTlsCertificate.

So my question is, how to deal with g_io_module when statically compiling (i.e. what am I doing wrong, is there anything to take care of, is glib-networking still required to be linked dynamically so libtool can load it?) or am I better of replacing the gdummytlsbackend.c entirely with gtlsbackend-gnutils.c from glib-networking (plus all the implementation specific things from the glib-networking/tls/ subfolder(s)) ?

Thanks a lot in advcance!

Best

Bernhard