Re: Can g_field_info_get_offset () provide same info as G_STRUCT_OFFSET?

On 06/11/13 15:39, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM, "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <knocte gmail com

    According to GObjectIntrospection wiki page[1], this is the proper
    place to ask questions about GI.

    I'm wondering if the function g_field_info_get_offset() [2] could
    provide the same information at compile-time that the
    G_STRUCT_OFFSET macro [3] provides at run-time? Am I missing
    something obvious here?

You've got these backwards. G_STRUCT_OFFSET is a compile-time macro,

Oh right, but from the point of view of a binding, it's not accessible at compile-time (therefore the need for glue code in C).

while g_field_info_get_offset() is a runtime method using the
GIR/typelib data. But yes, they should provide the same values.

Thanks

What's the issue here?

No "issue" but enhancement. I'm thinking of using g_field_info_get_offset() at runtime (at binding initialization) to prevent the use of glue code (unless glib upstream would accept a patch to wrap the G_STRUCT_OFFSET in a public function?).