Re: Problems with un-owned objects passed to closures in pygobject (gtk_cell_renderer_text_start_editing)

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Simon Feltman <s feltman gmail com> wrote:
> I could easily be misunderstanding the internals, but at some point isn't a
> call to something like gtk_widget_set_parent on the children needed for
> widgets to ever be displayed or useful? (which sinks the children)

One of the more gross internal details of GTK+ is that GtkWindows
(any toplevel widgets) get added to an internal 'list of toplevels'.

So a GtkWindow is an odd subclass that (like someone else
pointed out), sinks it's own floating reference at initialization time.

The ownership of the window is virtually given to "GTK+" and then
disposed of automatically at gtk_widget_destory() time.

I suppose that strictly speaking, an object constructor can indeed
have side effects (but I can't think of any case where it would be
anywhere close to 'sane' to intentionally use object constructors
for their side effects and ignore the results).

Best,
     -Tristan