Re: Stock Items Deprecation

On 13-08-20 06:59 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
On 13-07-02 06:41 AM, William Jon McCann wrote:
Hi,

As some of you may have noticed we have recently deprecated Stock
Items in
master.

Some details on this change may be found here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KCVPoYQBqMbDP11tHPpjW6uaEHrvLUmcDPqKAppCY8o/pub

Please let us know what you think.

Hi,

I try not to pipe-up here too often, but since you asked :)

And here I am again, sorry for noise.

[TLDR;...]

Actually I should sum up my last email more constructively as:

Having a "constant" to a "stock" item is quite useful, despite the reasons outlined in your document, because "stock items" provide a compiler-checked name/identifier to a consistent, internationalized, mnemonic-ized label and (ideally) semantic icon from GTK+ rather than pushing that "magic" (ie. work) into the individual applications. Even like:

#define GTK_STDITEM_SAVE ?
GtkButton *b = gtk_button_new_from_stditem(GTK_STDITEM_SAVE);

Not all GTK+-using applications prescribe strictly to GNOME's human interface guidelines but most applications share semantics like "Open" and "Save" and "Close" and so on. IMO, the general idea behind stock items/icons is still a good one.

Sorry again for noise and less-than-constructive previous email :)

Cheers,
Matthew Brush