Re: Stock Items Deprecation

hi;

On 13 August 2013 08:14, LE GARREC Vincent <legarrec vincent gmail com> wrote:

I have a question about this sentence :
"The guidance since before GTK+ 3.0 was for buttons to be text labels only
or icon images only."

I always design my applications based on the "GNOME Human Interface
Guidelines" and I never read something like this. Plus, in this guide, all
screenshoots show button with text label and icon. Do this guide needs an
update ?

yes, it does need to be updated. the next revision of the HIG is a
work in progress, and it's currently being tracked on the wiki:

  https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/HIG

in general, even during the last release cycles of the 2.x series, the
default for both icons in menus and icons in buttons has been off by
default.

If I replace all gtk_button_new_from_stock by gtk_button_new_with_mnemonic
then by default every button will not have an icon. So does the
gnome-tweak-tool's option "Buttons Have Icons" will disappear and the answer
will always be no ?

a general "turn on icons for buttons and menus" toggle is already
moderately nonsensical: unless everybody packs an icon in every
button/menu items, and accepts that icons can appear and disappear at
random, then there is no actual way to implement such toggle.

whether or not to add an icon in buttons and menu items is left to the
application developer's responsibility or to the application
designer's guidelines. for GNOME applications, buttons should have
text describing the action taken when pressing them (similarly to what
the HIG for GNOME 2.0 already specified), and menus should only have
icons for nouns, not for verbs.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

Hi,

As some of you may have noticed we have recently deprecated Stock Items in
master.

Some details on this change may be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KCVPoYQBqMbDP11tHPpjW6uaEHrvLUmcDPqKAppCY8o/pub

Please let us know what you think.

Thanks,
Jon