Re: RFC: new features

On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 11:23 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 20:38 -0800, Christian Hergert wrote:
<snip>
> > MENU BUTTON
> > A GtkButton that shows a menu when clicked (and handles positioning,
> > etc). Some would just use a combobox, but I find them pretty different.
> > You'll find this sort of "menu button" in various VMware products on
> > Linux. (I know the fullscreen toolbar used to have it at least).
>
> Gnome-contacts has one of these (at least in Gnome 3.2). Its not hard to
> do but would be nice to have in a single place. Also, it needs some help
> from the theme to look good, like adwaita does here:
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/commit/?id=90c4f48cf7720fb9b31e8388843a5fa6b8f3f705

Totem has a menu button as well, look for "popup_button" in:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/totem/tree/browser-plugin/totem-plugin-viewer.c

Hacky.

> > WIDGET STACK
> > Like a notebook with no tabs or decoration. You "push" and "pop" widgets
> > on and off the stack. This is the navigational structure often found on
> > iOS. The reason I think abstracting it might make sense is more about
> > animating between widgets once Gtk starts landing animation (post
> > clutter integration obviously). It would be great if this nicely
> > integrated with a "navigation bar" type widget. Here[3] is a video of
> > some crappy animation code I wrote to do this.
>
> Not only does it help with animation, but its also nice in terms of size
> allocation. Often you want a set of widgets that can temporarily change
> into another set (for instance during editing) without causing a UI
> reflow. Having a widget stack like this helps with this size allocation
> handling.

This is a problem in a number of control-center panels where we want
widgets not to move when switching from one item's properties to
another. Animation isn't the problem here, the problem is "hide it but
still take space in the layout".