Re: Announce: glib-jsonrpc

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 at 16:38:35 -0800, Christian Hergert wrote:
> And at this point, I expect flames about re-implementing DBUS. However,
> I still find it useful in cases where DBUS clients aren't viable (JSON
> API server, application controllable by iOS/Android, etc).

I think JSON and D-Bus both have their place. There's a continuum between
"natural language" and "raw binary", and no right answer for where you want
to be on that continuum; JSON and XML are closer to the
human-readable/inefficient end than, say, D-Bus or Google protocol buffers,
but that's not a bad thing for some uses.

Another important difference to think about when deciding which one to use
is that JSON-RPC is 1-1/peer-to-peer, whereas D-Bus usually isn't (the
star topology and broadcasts/subscriptions are optional, but very useful,
and in practice nearly always used).