Re: Multitouch review 3: kinetic scrolling

Hey :),

On mié, 2012-02-01 at 23:37 +0100, Florian Müllner wrote:
> On mié, 2012-02-01 at 08:00 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > - Restricting kinetic scrolling to touch devices is correct,
> > experience-wise
>
> Is it? I don't think Windows 8's Metro interface limits kinetic
> scrolling to touch devices (but I may be misremembering here), and Allan
> explicitly mentions kinetic scrolling with mouse input[0].
> To me it sounds like a desirable feature for non-touch input in some
> situations like missing scroll wheel or crappy touchpads.

My feeling is that mixing interaction paradigms is a wrong thing to do,
kinetic scrolling inherently comes with its oddities wrt selection and
DnD, those are kinda expected and sorted out in a way or another on
other touch platforms, but bringing those changes to mice users may be
frustrating.

A more generic principle I agree we should follow is direct
manipulation, in the case of scrolling:

* On touch devices: the content follows your finger
* On touchpads: the content scrolls smoothly, proportionally to the
finger(s) movement/velocity in the touchpad [1]. Note that the synaptics
driver already does it's sort of kinetic scrolling itself.
* On mice: you move via the scrollbar

  Carlos

[1] Unrelated to the initial topic, but it's implemented in the
smooth-scrolling gtk+ branch, requires a recent Xserver too though