Re: Review appreciated: touch-text-selection branch

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Carlos Garnacho <carlosg gnome org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> A few days after guadec I last updated the touch-text-selection branch:
>
>   http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=touch-text-selection
>
> The branch implements draggable handles to ease text selection on touch
> devices. It'd be great to get this rolling soon so it's included for
> 3.6. (I know it's past-freeze, but this is a non intrusive change, and
> an usability leap with touchscreens)

Hey, thanks for sending this out. I'm just now playing with it.
Unfortunately, I'm seeing more problems with this branch than with the
one I played with before guadec...

I've taken out all the touchscreen checks to try this with my mouse.

When clicking into an entry to focus it, I get a cursor with a single
handle underneath it.
When dragging that, the handle jumps away from the pointer and
alternates between the left and right end of the entry.
When double-clicking to select the contents of the entry, I end up
with a selection that has only one handle, and dragging it is broken
in the same way.
When clicking and dragging to get an extended selection, I get two
handles that are working as expected.
When clicking and dragging in the empty part of the entry, I sometimes
get handles that extend all the way from the end of the entry to where
I let go, with no visible selection at all.
When moving the window with touch handles by dragging the titlebar,
the handles disappear and don't come back, leaving a 'naked' selection
behind.
Same when starting a drag of a selection with handles - the handles go
away, and after I cancel the drag, the selection is 'naked'
I'm also seeing lots of warnings:

(lt-gtk3-demo:24582): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_get_cursor_pos:
assertion `index >= 0 && index <= layout->length' failed

Now, I may have made some mistake when patching out the touchscreen
checks - maybe it would be good to have an env var or setting to force
the handles ?