Double Buffer extension on X11

Hi,

I was hoping that this topic was beaten to death, but I haven't been
able to find any discussion on the topic. I'm not very knowledgeable on
the extension (yet), so if you have valuable information on the topic,
please share it!

Is there a reason that gtk+ doesn't use the DOUBLE-BUFFER extension on
X11? Does the current design of composting negate it's usefulness? Is it
that nobody has stepped up to implement it? Is the DOUBLE-BUFFER
extension broken in ways that make it worse than the double buffering
provided by gdk directly? Does the XdbeBufferSwap() belong in cairo more
than gdk?

Anyway, I'm just trying to find out if spending some time trying to
implement this is a complete wast of time for reasons already known.

Thanks!

-- Christian