Re: Improve handling of bug reports for GTK+?

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 05:23 -0400, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> When I was working on height-for-width support, we created the "EL"
> (extended layout) whiteboard keyword for triaging... this is awkward
> because one needs to perform explicit searches to get the EL bugs.
>
> So, while I was working on the geometry management, I did lookup
> those bugs on a regular basis... however since then I do not receive
> any notifications regarding GTK+ geometry management issues.

Pipe dream: Bugzilla should scrap components and keywords and combine
them both into ‘tags’ (or something like that). Each bug would have zero
or more tags. A tag could be a component name, or a cross-component
thing such as extended layout. This would get rid of the limitation that
bugs have to be in one component (since it's often the case that two
components are applicable; e.g. ‘documentation’ and ‘GtkBuilder’ for
bugs about the GtkBuilder documentation), remove the pointless
‘General’ (or similar) components from products, and by allowing
subscription to individual tags it would let people subscribe to
cross-component things such as extended layout.

Of course, this would be a massive change to Bugzilla, so I expect it
won't happen for a while.

Philip