Re: gdk threads ...

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Michael Meeks <michael meeks suse com> wrote:
 [... ]

there seems to be some confusion here. I've read back over your posts
in the this thread. I don't see you mentioning libreoffice doing
anything that requires thread enter/leave calls. You've mentioned idle
callbacks, timeout callbacks. Idle callbacks can be setup without any
thread locking (g_idle_add() and its cousins are probably the one
actually thread safe thing in glib/gtk :). If you want separate
threads with tie own main event loops (and, for example, their own
timeouts) then you can do that, again with any thread enter/leave
calls (ardour these days runs 3-4 glib event loops, for example). If
you want other threads to be able to set up timeout callbacks in the
GUI event loop, then just use g_idle_add() to get them set up.