Re: Geometry Management

On 25 September 2011 23:07, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Matthew Bucknall
> <matthew bucknall googlemail com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get my head around GTK+ 3.0's new 'Height-for-width
>> Geometry Management'. Sorry if I'm missing it in the documentation
>> somewhere, but what exactly is the definition of a widget's natural
>> width or height?
>
> its pretty simple: you ask the widget:
>
>   1) If you have to fit into <this> much height, how wide will you be?
>   2) if you have to fit into <this> much width, how high will you be?
>
> its up to the widget to define the answers to both questions.

That seems to pertain to the gtk_widget_get_preferred_height_for_width
() and gtk_widget_get_preferred_width_for_height () functions which I
understand.

What I'm not clear on is the meaning of the 'natural' arguments in
calls to gtk_widget_get_preferred_height () and
gtk_widget_get_preferred_width ().

Are the natural sizes just some sort hint to containers which may
result in more aesthetically pleasing layouts than just going by the
minimum sizes alone?