Re: GLib "next cycle" update

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:14:08 +0200
Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 13:11 -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> >  - initialise on the first g_thread_create() call
> >
> >    This seems like it would avoid any chance of races in gslice
> >    initialisation but it means that we wouldn't be safe with
> > respect to threads that weren't created by GLib (like some
> > asynchronous libraries do for callbacks).
>
> In addition to the mentioned async libraries, this would also break
> multi-threaded Qt applications using GLib-based libraries such as
> GStreamer.

   ... and anything else GLib-based-library-using which also uses
pthreads directly on POSIX platforms for things GThread doesn't offer
(including, at the risk of invoking both C++ and cancellation flaming
in one go, the language-natural cancellation support baked into glibc
on linux-2.6/3.0 kernels, most modern BSDs and all modern commercial
unixes for C++ runtimes via thrown pseudo-exceptions.)

Chris