Re: Initial work on a help API

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 09:29 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
> With some GApplication work, we could get applications to read
> something from their .desktop file. Then it could be explicit,
> e.g. X-Launchpad-ID=.... You'd still have to patch applications,
> but with a one-line patch to a data file instead.

I raised the point on the xdg list that I want to add application
identifiers (of the "org.gnome.Foo" sort) to desktop files.  Michael
Vogt has plans to make this data available in apt (by sucking it out of
the desktop files).

We could go from application ID to package name (and from there
launchpad ID) without the need to patch anything at all.

Cheers