Re: [g-a-devel] GTK and ATK

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> I would argue that if all the widgets dealing with text really have
> the same needs, they should really support the same interface in GTK+,
> and there should be no need to write n adaptors for widget-with-text
> to atktext, but instead just one for text-widget-interface to atktext.
> And ideally, text-widget-interface and atktext would be so close to
> each other that that would be trivial.

Interestingly, there is a lot of use cases where people want to do
stuff with text and an interface supporting it would help them
greatly. Besides AtkText, spell checking, IM contexts and maybe even
searching come to mind. If we could come up with an interface for Gtk
that could satisfy all these needs without getting overly complex,
that would be great.
(Ideally, this interface would have a default implementation that just
maps to a PangoLayout very well, because that is what all text-related
widgets in GTK use.)

Benjamin