Re: [g-a-devel] GTK and ATK

On 05/11/2011 02:10 PM, Li Yuan wrote:

于 2011/5/11 2:38, Federico Mena Quintero 写道:
ATK is "duplicated" interfaces.  It needs to be kept in sync with the
rather axiomatic interfaces provided by at-spi.  It has to deal with
messy details like GTK+'s reference counting (and who knows if at-spi is
amenable to that kind of detail).

By implementing ATK interfaces, applications don't need to care about the IPC stuff. Or every toolkit will need to do a lot work when we transfer from CORBA to D-Bus, and to another IPC in the future.

One problem may be that at-spi sometimes wants to be tightly-bound to
things that are far away from it, and that's bad design.

Maybe at-spi needs to be more stateless.  I don't know exactly how that
would work, but maybe it's about letting you reconstruct your "view" of
an accessible application easily, in a couple of D-Bus calls, instead of
doing a million calls just to re-sync everything.  Take a widget
hierarchy and its available accessible interfaces, and push the entire
thing as a JSON blob?  Use paths to refer to widgets (or accessible
objects), like SomeApp/MainToolbar/SaveButton instead of querying each
sub-hierarchy by hand just to get a volatile object reference?  I don't
know.
I don't know how accessibility is going to work in the way you suggest too.

Maybe the D-Bus stuff on the client side should be maintained directly
inside GTK+?  (Does anyone *call* ATK directly to implement an
accessibility dongle, or do they always go through D-Bus?  Why does ATK
need a public API - can't it just be basically the "structs" for the
GTypeInterfaces and as little boilerplate as needed to make those
interfaces implementable?)
You don't want to modify all toolkits' accessibility implementation when we switch to another IPC. This is what ATK doing - letting toolkit's accessibility implementation separate from IPC.

Li