Re: G_CONST_RETURN

(replies to gtk-devel-list please)

hello desktop-devel and gtk-devel lists,

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 22:47 -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:
>                                                      The current plan is
> to remove uses of the macro from glib and gtk+ and add a notice about
> the pending deprecation to the documentation.  The next few months will
> serve as a 'grace period' for other libraries to clean up their headers.
>   After that, we will introduce the deprecation in the usual way and
> deal with the (hopefully reduced) fallout.

It's been a few months.  I've committed removal of use of G_CONST_RETURN
to GLib (fixing a few problems in GObject) and added the deprecation
notice to the documentation.  Javier, Emmanuele and myself have been
fixing various libraries and applications.  We've filed bugs and
committed a lot of fixes to various low-level things like atk, pango,
gdk-pixbuf, gtk+, clutter and many others.

It's been a few months, and there have been no objections, so we're just
about ready to go ahead with the next stage of the plan.  If you haven't
already done so, please check your modules for G_CONST_RETURN and
replace it with plain "const".  If you're using G_DISABLE_CONST_RETURNS
then please take the time to fix your code not to depend on this hack.

  http://people.gnome.org/~fpeters/reports/g_const_return.html

Cheers