Re: New rule

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 17:33 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> How about, if you plan to break API, it's mandatory to write entries
> in the migration guide. Heck, even a quick email to the mailing list
> explaining how to convert code might be nice.
>
> I'm getting really tired from people changing big parts of the API a
> few days before release, and then release teams expecting developers
> to produce tarballs that actually work. gtk-2.91.1 is broken for
> GtkComboBoxText, and gtk git master is broken for any GtkApplication
> using application. libnotify just changed API in a major way, which
> means we can't even use old tarballs until everything settles down.
> devhelp won't compile, so we can't even use the viewer application.
>
> Could somebody please port all my projects. I've got better things to
> do than re-port all my stuff without a migration document. Again.

Initial thoughts, I suppose it's good to have a head start on
catching up to GTK+ 3.0 by porting early, however the cost of
that is dealing with api shifts (all in all I think we should
appreciate the effort but in no way require this of anyone,
trying to catch up to GTK+ means you are helping us test new
api paths; that's great).

However I expect a general latency of around 3 or 4 months
after GTK+ 3.0 is actually released for very active projects to
catch up and port.

If anyone expects to release GNOME 3.0 apps with GTK+ 3.0 release
all at the same time, I have to say that's a bit far fetched.

We should instead recommend that people port their applications
to GTK+ 3.0 *once we have an API*; after 3.0 is released.

Cheers,
         -Tristan