Re: GtkSpreadTable ('spread-table' branch)

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 20:56 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 16:51 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

> > > I see, a kind of bisection looking for the best height; just go
> > > average +  (total - average) / 2 and lower by halves, increase
> > > by halves until the best height is reached.
> > >
> > > I was a little weary to try this kind of approach as the whole
> > > thing needs layouting for every tested height, but maybe as you
> > > say with a "greedy" algorithm the results may be perfect.
> > >
> > > One exception the current writeup does is to ignore the height of
> > > a widget that is tall enough to span the entire column height
> > > (thus a smaller target height is chosen to allow the remaining
> > > widgets to spread more evenly)... but I think that can still be
> > > accounted for with your approach.
> > >
> > > I'll definitely give this a try, thanks a lot.
> >
> > Hi,
> >     I gave this another shot using a bisection/binary search of
> > plausible heights as you suggested.
> >
> > The patch I attached here does indeed speed things up when it
> > comes to allocating for lots of columns.
> >
> > However I did not apply the patch to the branch right away as
> > there is one problem I noticed off the bat.
> >
> > Since this new algorithm allocates as many children as
> > possible in every column consecutively for a given height,
> > there are some cases where trailing columns are allocated
> > no widgets.
> >
> > You can observe this by,
> >   - Applying the patch to spread-table branch
> >   - Setting 10 columns in the ./tests/testspreadtable test case
> >   - Stretch out the test window and notice when the hscrollbar goes away
> >     there are trailing empty columns... these columns get filled again
> >     when stretched further to larger widths.
> >
> > Other than that problem the binary search works pretty much the
> > same as the other algorithm currently in the branch, and does
> > speed things up when it comes to setting 20+ columns.
> >
> > Possibly this can still be done with the optimization
> > and some short post-processing in the cases of empty
> > columns... will have to dig deeper...
> >

> Well I'm really tempted to "just go with this" because:
>
>   a.) In the case that most columns are equal height, more widgets
>       always appear to the left than the right where possible, which
>       seems to look good and desirable.
>
>   b.) The case where trailing empty columns exist is only possible
>       with lots of columns and not enough widgets (columns dont
>       break down enough to spread them all evenly).
>
> For case b.) I think the best option is to simply eat out widgets
> from the last populated column and put exactly one in each trailing
> empty column, in any case its really corner case and again as
> I mentioned in point a.) ... it seems nice to see more widgets to
> the left than to the right.
>
> So essentially I think an allocation that ended up like this
> (where the numbers are how many widgets landed in a column):

> | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 0 | 0 |
>
> We would simply translate that to:

> | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 |

For what its worth I finally applied this algorithm
to the 'spread-table' branch.

In the case that the trailing columns get no
widgets, one widget is placed in each of the trailing
columns (again, only happens with lots of columns
and not enough widgets... and seems to look good
this way IMO)

Cheers,
      -Tristan