Re: Replacing gdk_display_open(char*)

> * BTW, are there any plans to add multihead on other platforms?

Not for Windows, at least. I am not even sure what multihead would
mean on Windows. Note that I am not talking about  mutiple monitors in
a user session's Windows desktop; that works mostly fine in GTK+ since
a long time.

Would the X11-inspired terms "screens" and "displays" on Windows
correspond to "desktops" and "window stations"?

(See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681928%28v=VS.85%29.aspx
and relevant links from that to get an overview.)

What kind of cross-platform application would need such functionality?
I can't think of any... There is presumably enough fundamental
differences in how and why a client process accesses multiple screens
and/or display on X11, vs. multiple desktops and/or window stations on
Windows, to make it quite improbable that anyone would want to write
such an application using a cross-platform toolkit.

Please do prove me wrong if you can, though;)

> The docs haven't changed since 2002.
> <http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/docs/reference/gdk/multihead.sgml>

Eek, some quite misleading text there, like "GdkScreen objects are the
GDK representation of a physical screen"... a GdkScreen is definitely
not always a single "physical screen". Presumably, to most readers,
"physical screen" would mean a monitor, and that is not what a
GdkScreen is. There is GdkMonitor for that.

--tml