Re: GtkBin as a publicly derivable abstract class please.

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 14:50 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> Guys,
>    this is the kind of thing we could probably just
> resolve on irc but I work an opposite schedule so I'm
> taking it to the list.
>
> Today I found '_gtk_bin_set_child()'

what's wrong with gtk_container_add()?

> Making that a private api render's GtkBin completely
> useless as a subclassable container outside of GTK+.

why? when sub-classing GtkBin the GtkContainer implementation has
already been provided; if you want to inject some particular code into
it you just need to override add() and chain up at the place of your
convenience.

> But I beg to differ, GtkBin is definitely a useful
> abstract class to derive from.

yes, and that's obviously possible.

> Also I noticed that the implementation takes no
> reference to the child.

because it's a private method for internal usage; it should be
documented, if it's not, though.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--