Re: Multi-platform dbus (was: Ige-mac-integration: New version with Cocoa interface available)

On May 18, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:
>
> Sure. But dbus provides services which are provided by notifications and AppleEvents on OSX. If a supposedly cross-platform  application supports only the dbus way, it turns out to be pretty autistic on OSX. I don't think that it's all that common for OSX users (aside from the few Fink and MacPorts users who are trying to replicate an entire Linux environement) to run more than one or two dbus-using apps, and they aren't able to communicate with other OSX application or OSX itself unless those channels are separately implemented.
>
> So maybe g_dbus isn't the right place for the abstraction layer; it could be one of the implementation layers.
>
> i think that is precisely what is being proposed: GApplication/GtkApplication as the abstaction that covers notifications etc, and an implementation for a given platform. the linux/X11/FD.org one would use DBus. apps that choose to use DBus directly will be assumed to want something specific that DBus offers, and not a generic platform-agnostic "application abstraction".

OK.

I don't think that GApplication is a good name for it, though. The fact that some notifications (became active, quit, etc.) are directed at the application object doesn't mean that all of them should be.

Regards,
John Ralls