Re: Ige-mac-integration: New version with Cocoa interface available.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

> It has some useful bits, and seems mostly harmless, but I don't think that it will get much use in its present form.

Right - in reality I expect people to be using *Gtk*Application.  So
please look at that too.

> The action registry is a potentially useful piece of infrastructure, but it doesn't really go far enough to insulate the application developer from having to learn more than she wants to about each platform that she's targeting. She'll still have to have large sections of ifdef'd code catching the various signals from each operating system and invoking the actions, which will then emit signals that she'll have to connect to with her callbacks.

Can you give an example here?  Catching what signals?

examples on OS X would include: "open file <path>", "quit", "this application is now the "active" one", etc.

> I don't think that there's much benefit to get_mainloop, run, and quit. If the event loop needs to be abstracted for a platform, that should be done in the platform's GMainLoop override.

I thought other platforms just hooked in window system event sources
in GDK?  Or are you talking about something else?

i think that john's point is that glib is already providing a GMainLoop abstraction that works on different platforms. having GApplication or even GtkApplication provide that seems a bit redundant.