Re: thoughts on GSettingsList

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 14:45 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> It would be immensely helpful if GSettingsList can do the cleaning up and
> dup-avoiding part.  So, add_item() will in fact get a name *hint*, clean it
> [1] up, avoid dup, and return the key name.

Note that in the interface I gave, add_item() takes no arguments at all.
My current thinking involves creating a uuid-ish thing to store in the
database.  This would have some nice properties when it comes time to
considering how we would merge dconf databases (by making collisions
less likely).

Indeed, I used to support a hint here that would become the "prefix" of
the new name.  Perhaps I will also feature this in the new version after
all.

> Other than that, I know you already know, but is worth stressing: please avoid
> magic keys and values if you can :P.

GSettings key naming conventions prohibit you from having a "." in a key
name, so having "dot files" is not really a case of magic keys but
rather a case of "something else entirely".

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers