Re: GTK+ branch gyrations

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Christian Dywan <christian lanedo com> wrote:

>> headers: /usr/include/gtk-3.0 ?
>> libs: $libdir/libgtk-x11-3.0.so ?
>> pc files: gtk+-3.0.pc, etc ?
>> modules: stay with $libdir/gtk-2.0 ?
>> utilities like gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders: do we need to duplicate these
>> ? if we don't change the module location, I think not
>> introspection data: Gtk-3.0.gir ?
>
> I think all of the paths/ files with -2.0 in the name which you mention
> should be bumped, including the modules because a module compiled
> against the new GTK+ won't work with the older one, even if the module
> API remains the same.

That is a good point. Unfortunately, that means that e.g. librsvg will
have to install two pixbuf loaders, one for 2.x and one for 3.x.

> The utilities don't need to be renamed as far as I see since they
> remain compatible and can be used regardless of the ABI of the
> binaries.
> And if you need to update the loaders for a specific version, you can
> pass the modules on the command line.

But by the same token, the utilities need to be renamed too since they
generally work by loading the modules, gathering some information, and
writing it out into some index file.