Re: Faster UTF-8 decoding in GLib

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 16.03.2010, 19:38 +0200 schrieb Mikhail Zabaluev:
> 2010/3/16 Daniel Elstner <daniel kitta googlemail com>:
>
> > Also, do you realize that have just single-handedly introduced 256 (!)
> > address references that need to be resolved by the dynamic linker at
> > library load time? :-D
>
> I've just verified your theory with objdump -r, and it shows the
> references as R_386_32. Do you insist that they are dynamic?

Sorry for the slightly incorrect terminology.  Of course, they are not
dynamic in the sense that they can be loaded from the outside.  But the
table still has to be filled in by the dynamic loader at library load
time as far as I know, because the function pointers are absolute, not
relative addresses.

> The only new dynamic symbol exposed is g_utf8_getter_table, and it's a
> pointer const variable.

Yes, I wasn't talking about 256 exported symbols, but about 256 symbol
references that need to be resolved.  Years ago, Ulrich Drepper wrote a
paper about optimizing shared libraries, which I highly recommend.

--Daniel