Re: [Usability] GTK+ at the UX Hackfest

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 12:27 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 12:22 +0800, Li Yuan wrote:
> > Mathias made the patch
> > (http://bugzilla-attachments.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=118981 ) to
> > make at-spi support XSettings.
> >
> > >From a11y side, gail and atk-bridge/atk-adaptor, as GTK+ modules, should
> > be able to be loaded at any time. If there is no registry daemon
> > running, for CORBA version, at-spi-registryd will be started through
> > Bonobo activation (atk-bridge does this job); for D-Bus version,
> > at-spi2-registryd should be started through D-Bus activation
> > (atk-adaptor does this job).
> >
> > There are also gnome_accessibility_module_shutdown functions for these
> > A11Y modules. Maybe we need a unified way to shutdown GTK+ modules.
>
> Right, it seems the discussion we had with Willie was with outdated or
> incorrect data, so let's step back and look at the original problem
> again.

Ah, sorry I didn't say it clearly. I didn't mean there is no problem to
unload the modules. I meant we could use the
gnome_accessibility_module_shutdown functions to disable accessibility.

> We'd like to be able to enable/disable a11y in applications without a
> session restart, and, if possible, when deactivated, that the modules
> are unloaded and all a11y related functionality is torn down.

As the previous mail I sent, it is possible to enable accessibility
without session restart. For disable, it depends on how we do it. It is
possible to deregister the applications from registryd in
gnome_accessibility_module_shutdown function, but unloaded the modules
will cause applications crash.

Li