Re: dconf 0.4.1 is out

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:37:18AM -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 14:43 +0200, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> > Is it possible that we make this conditional, like in
> >
> > 	--{en,dis}able-dconf-editor
>
> Yes.  Of course.  I'll do this soon.
>
> The plan is for the dependency on Vala to increase (to be used in the
> core parts of dconf, for example),

Hmm, dconf is low level infrastructure, so from the scalability point of
view, it should have as less dependencies as possible.

If it's only for tests / developer convenience / anything which isn't
needed in a runtime environment and can be configured away, it's just
fine.

We have application scenarios which consist just of glib, dbus,
json-dbus-bridge and some other small libraries and make it for example
possible to build a web based heating controller with about 8 MB of
flash footprint, while still being in an "IT-like" environment. Any
assumption of a normal desktop Linux system (such as 'just add gtk' or
'vala') leads to > N * 100% system size increase.

> but since that's only needed for 'make dist' (or compiling directly
> from git) I guess it's okay for your embedded use case?

Why do you need vala on make dist? But in general, yes: that would be
ok.

rsc