Re: Lots of libraries ...

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 13:41 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 12:28 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
>
> > 	Could we -statically- link libgthread + libgmodule into libglib and
> > libgdk + libgdk-pixbuf into libgtk libraries respectively[4]
>
> ugh. that would make Clutter depend on libgtk.
>
> bad, very bad.
>
> I'd rather have libgdk-pixbuf be definitely split out from GTK+ (and
> fixed with the API breaking fury of an angry god of old while we're at
> it) instead - which would collide with the whole idea of having fewer
> libraries but at least would make it possible to have parallel graphical
> libraries not depend on (and page in) GTK+ itself.

I've heard ideas about turning GdkPixbuf into an image loader for Cairo,
rather than the current GdkPixbuf struct, which does waste quite a lot
of memory (try loading a few jpeg 2000 files...)

> > PS. is it only my libunique that links a handful of X extensions it is
> > unlikely to need ?
>
> libunique uses GDK - plus some Xlibs API to gather a fallback timestamp.

I would expect most of libunique to be obsolete with GApplication and
GtkApplication (or I at least hope so).