Re: help on disabling file-chooser

On Jan 31, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> Sounds like an exercise in futility.
>
> If you are doing this to prevent people from saving something because
> of commercial/security/whatever interests, and if the users will have
> a real interest in working around the limitations you try to impose,
> they will. And there is nothing you can do to stop them.
>
> The very purpose of the license of GTK+ (LGPL) is to allow your users
> to replace GTK+ with a modified version. For instance one where they
> have re-instated the functionality you have removed.
>
> The same license that gives you the right to modify GTK+ gives the
> end-users of your modified version the right to revert the
> modification, and share such a reverted copy with others as they
> please.

I don't know the original poster's requirements, but I've worked on projects where we have limited the access of the user of the application.  In our case, even the non GPL code is provided to the customer, so they retain the rights to modify the code later, etc.

In more embedded type systems, you generally want to limit the damage that the user can do, normally inadvertent.  Would you really want a file chooser in, say, an ATM?

Obviously the OP's is using non GPL code in the 3rd party libraries, or he could fix it there easier.  If his customer decides to remove this limitation, it is out of his hands.