Re: The magazine_chain_pop_head() problem

Le mercredi 08 décembre 2010 à 09:58 +0000, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 08:48 +0100, Yann Droneaud wrote:
> > (I've already send this message, but it seems it was lost in moderation)
> <snip>
> > So I'm stuck.
> >
> > If this bug could not be reproduced for debug, debug support should be added/enabled in the code
> > to try to discover the culprit. Any ideas ? ;)
>
> It's possible the slice allocator has bugs, but the more probable reason
> for those crashes is memory corruption and double-frees in the affected
> code. Each bug should be treated as separate ones until root-caused.

So, you think running programs with G_SLICE=always-malloc (under
valgrind) will uncover the real bugs ?

Or will it hide them ?

Enabling G_SLICE=always-malloc fully bypass the multi-threaded slice
allocator code, so if the problem is lying on a corner case of the
thread access, we're going to miss it.

So I'm currently running my desktop with G_SLICE=debug-blocks, at least
it could detect double free, but not memory overflow.

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud